January 2, 2009

Shimmery Backgrounds


I love the chance to get out the messy stuff and play around till a page works its way out of that mess!! I also love playing with a wide variety of mediums and have yet to find something that will scare me off of having a go.


One of my favourite get messy products is good old Selleys Pollyfilla. It’s available in all hardware stores and some discount stores and is a wonderful medium for adding texture to a page.
To create this page I began with a simple piece of white cardstock that I coated roughly in pollyfilla from the centre out to one of the corners. While it was still wet I pressed a damp chux cloth into its surface to add additional texture before stamping into the thicker sections with a foam swirl stamp.
Once dry, I sprayed over the surface with 2 different shades of luminescent dye. There are a great many available on the market at the moment from Radiant rain, Memory mist, Moonshadow mist and Shimmer mist. They are however, really easy to make for yourself –
1. Mix 1 teaspoon perfect pearls powder (or Pearl ex powder) to 5 t0 10 drops of reinker dye in your chosen colour.
1. Mix with water and fill a small spray bottle. The more water you add to the mix the more translucent the effect will be.
To complete my page I tore off one side and added a strip of vintage music paper, added an old book page, painted a right angle section with crackle paint and adhered my photo matt and photo. Finally I added some flowers and butterfly punchies and sprayed everything one final time with my spray.
*A good tip to note, when you want the ink to pool spray close to your project otherwise spray in quick arm motions across the page with the sprayer held at least 30cm away from your project.
Spray nozzle held away from surface
Spray nozzle kept close to surface

No comments: