January 16, 2009

Well here is another article already!! I recently came across the idea of adding a layer of vaseline between paint layers to make it more efficient when peeling layers to create a weathered look. I have no idea who originally came up with the idea and only read about the idea on a forum but was quite willing to give the concept a go anyway so if it is your idor you have seen this done somewhere I would love to here about different ways of doing this technique!!


You need -




  • At least 2 colours of acrylic paint (I used red, silver and burnt sienna)



  • Vasolene



  • crackle medium



Step 1 :Begin by adding paint to a piece of cardstock and coating the piece entirely.


One


Step 2 : Once the paint is thoroughly dry, smear a layer of vasolene roughly over the surface of the paint. Don't be too careful as you want to have area's that have very little or no vasolene on them for a better effect.


Two


Step 3 : Next, paint a layer of paint over the top of the vsolene. Be careful not to overwork the paint as you will only succeed in blending the paint and vasolene together and creating a mess!!


Three


Step 4: Leave to thoroughly dry. As the paint dries you may notice the paint crack over the thicker sections of vasolene, don;t worry this is normal!! Once dry, grab an old chux and begin rubbing at the paint.


Four


Step 5 : As you rub you will notice that the area's where the vasolene was thicker, the paint comes off completely while the area's where there was no vasolene, the paint remains in place. Continue rubbing over the surface until you like the effect them gently wipe off any excess vasolene.


Five


And thats the technique. Of course me being me I wasn't happy to just leave it there, I wanted to do more to it to get a much more rustic effect!! Here's what I then did -


Step 6 : Add a layer of crackle medium and leave to dry. Mix a third colour of paint with water (about half and half of each) then paint over the crackle medium with this watered down paint. The watered down paint seems to create a much deeper crackle effect which I prefer.


Six


So what can I do with it? Well, I chose to use it as a photo Matt for one of my scrapbooking pages but I reckon its also a backround that I would use for male cards or even to punch out shapes from!! Here's a scan of the page I created with this piece -


Example


Blog_signature_image_4

No comments: