November 21, 2008

Candle Soot & Stamping Technique

Today I thought I would share a technique that I spotted on the web some time back and that I've finally had a chance to finish off into an actual project!

I know this particular Christmas card is not 'traditional' in any way - infact I don't think I've ever created a black Christmas card BUT I must say that I am pleased with the results and of course ANY themed stamp can be used for this technique as well!



I used a little Kaisercraft pattern paper, some silver stickers, a little silver thread, some bling and a stamped 'soot' image on the above card!

To create the 'soot' image you'll need a lit candle, white glossy paper, versamark ink, a rubber stamp and a can of matt clear sealer!

The technique involves standing a lit candle in your kitchen sink - or some place else that is safe, particularly if your glossy paper ends up catching on fire - we don't need any accidents! Hold the glossy side of your paper horizonatally over the flame - you'll actually need to have the top of the flame touching your glossy paper BUT keep it moving so that it doesn't catch on fire. You'll quickly notice how 'soot' will start collecting on the surface of your glossy paper.

NOTE: Make sure you actually create a 'sooted' area that is larger than the image you want to stamp - this way you can pick the best area to stamp on AND later, cut the image to your chosen size more easily as well. Continue moving your glossy paper about in the candle flame until you are happy with the coverage you have created. Remember you don't need to have a thick layer of 'soot' on your glossy paper, a little variation in the coverage will add to the overall finished result!
Now carefully lay your 'sooted' paper face up on your work surface, being VERY careful that you do not touch any portion of the 'soot' because it will immediately come off and you'll end up with black fingers!

Next, take your selected stamp and press it onto a Versamark Ink pad until you have an even coverage - then, carefully stamp your image onto the 'soot' surface of your glossy paper. What will happen is that your stamp will 'pick up' some of the black, leaving behind a negative image of your chosen stamp! Pretty cool huh! I have read that some people don't use any ink on their stamp BUT I found I got the clearest and best images when I used a little Versamark Ink on my stamp - try it both ways yourself and see which way you prefer!

All you need to do then is to give your image a coating of matt clear sealer to fix the 'soot' and to protect the image from smudging - I actually applied two thin layers, allowing each one to dry thoroughly inbetween.



I then simply cut my image to size, applied a little Christmas bling to the tree branches and then added it to my card!
So what do you think? Have you tried this technique before? I'd love to see your results of playing around with 'soot' - please make sure you share them in the Scrappit Gallery with us!

Have a wonderful day!

Shirley

No comments: