October 20, 2009

Fusing Plastic Bags

I recently found an awesome technique listed on Flickr that involved recycling those old shopping bags that up until recently were amassed on a daily scale. I got to the stage of constantly having a laundry sink filled with them in the hope of using them for something because I didn't want to add to landfill.

The technique can be found here -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soshesews/sets/72157618117519922/
- and is well worth a visit since the tutorial shares photo's and written instructions to follow.


Last week I created this layout using some recycled bags -


I used the plastic bag technique to create the yellow sand for my layout. With the left over piece of yellow fused plastic I created a cover for a mini book and distressed the plastic with alcohol inks, gesso and more alcohol inks then decorated it in a very Tim Holtz inspired fashion -

As you can see this technique is definately stuck with me. For my latest project I decided to fuse the plastic bag my Scrappitpack came in. I even wedged in a flower set between two layers for added appeal -

I have to admit thay I really like the etched glass effect the clear bags give.



1 comment:

Tania said...

This is great Sharon - wouldn't it be great to use the fused 'fabric' to cut shapes with the Big Shot?? I wonder if it would take embossing?